Friday, October 10, 2008

Where I'm At

In Tucson, obviously.

But here's an update on my physical and mental health after a busy week with a busy weekend to come.

I'm taking Kat to the airport today for her visit to North Carolina. This is her yearly vacation from me in which she decompresses from 51 weeks of dealing with my nonsense and girds herself for 51 weeks more. It looks like the weather should be fab, so I'm sure she'll have a good time.

She'll get to see her friend Lena's baby, Levi. I don't have a photo on my computer, but he is very cute. Some of the Gautreauxs met Lena and Chris at our wedding, but most memorable is an incident in which Chris was shocked by the toilet architecture at a restaurant.

I will be studying while Kat is gone and taking care of the dogs, so they don't die. I'm playing basketball today, but after that it is time to lock down.

I had the last of my four callback interviews yesterday. Now, I wait and hope to hear from one or more of them. I think they went well for the most part, but I think I made a big mistake in choosing to be myself. I think that was bad advice.

Kat and I went to the weekly law school carousing night known as Bar Review last night. It was the first one we had gone to all semester. It was at a bar called "Home Plate" where they serve alcohol and also have batting cages. There was definitely some heavy irony in the fact that law students were at an establishment that mixes drinking with the hurling of objects at a high rate of speed. There was an enormous sign that says "Batters assume all risks," but I'm not sure if any warning be enough to ensure the soundness of an assumption of the risk defense after Trent has 24 Bud Lites and decides to step in against an automated Tim Lincecum.

I hadn't swung a bat in about five years and it showed. I looked like a Cub in the postseason.

But Kat and I had fun. Kat was compared favorably to Karen O by someone who may have been drinking and Judd Apatow movies were discussed at a length far more than deserved.

Anyway, that is what is going on with me.

Reading: Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman. This is a rather hilarious novelization of what it is like to live in a small Midwestern town. It is so true that it hurts.

Listening: The Fifth Season of drivel that is the Ricky Gervais Show as well as the new Jenny Lewis album, Acid Tongue. Kat and I like to sing The Next Messiah very loudly.

Watching: Just The Office on a regular basis. Nothing else, really.

No comments: