Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kat will soon be on the cover of Horse Aficionado

This weekend Kat competed in the Saddlebred Futurity (I have no idea what this means, except that it involves horses) at WestWorld in Scottsdale. She won the blue ribbon, which means first place, in both her competitions. The event Saturday was more about the horse, and the event Sunday was more about her handling of the horse. I think she rode a horse called Caper for both events. Apparently, Caper has been competing in events like this (whether he knows it or not) for 18 years. I watched on Saturday, and Kat definitely looked like she was having a good time. One woman even stopped her after the show to say how much Kat was smiling. It was pretty fun, and I was thrilled to see Kat do well. She tries really hard at her lessons, and it is great to see that rewarded.

(I realize that my relating of this story is terrible since I know nothing about horses, equitation or nature. I felt similarly when I used to do sports reporting on cross country or softball - sports I knew nothing about and cared little or nothing about. However, I obviously care about saddlebred competitions when Kat is in them.)

When I got to the competition grounds I had a flashback to being a reporter because I was sent to a place I had never been and had a backpack. The backpack is now filled with law books (although I am still scorned by many, including Kat, for wearing it), but the best thing about the flashback was that I didn't have to accost anyone to ask them what they like about horses. I miss journalism - but only a select few parts of it. I also like the fact that even though this story is rambling, nonsensical and probably pointless, only a select few people who know me and my mental illnesses will read it, rather than lots of different people who will then laugh at me.

I'm sure Kat will put the video of her victories up on her blog. I tried to tape her first event, but I know I did terribly. It will remind the initiated of a Shirley effort, although minus the hours of footage of the inside of a purse.

It was good to have a day off from the law yesterday, although I am back at it hard today (as is made clear by the fact that I'm blogging rather than studying). Truthfully, all is not well in Jeffreytown. It looks more and more like I struck out in my attempt to get a job at a law firm for next summer, and I don't particularly like a lot of my remaining options. It's pretty disappointing to be in this position, but I just have to make the best out of it.

I have come to the conclusion that I am the law student equivalent of Lamar Odom: great skills, lots of potential, even some impressive achivements, but destined to disappoint. Few have done less with more than Lamar and I. For some of the best of Lamar, click on this link. If the ending to this blog has made you sad (and it shouldn't; it should make me sad, but not you) then click on that last link and you'll be smiling in no time. It works for me. It can work for you.

No comments: