Monday, March 17, 2008

Spring Break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, that headline is all about excitement. However, spring break for me isn't really about excitement. It's more about doing things I've put off doing during the semester. But know this: when I'm working on that Torts outline, in my mind I'm at Daytona Beach.

I tried to go to a spring training game on Saturday, but that was not very smart. The game was sold out, and I had to drive back home like a loser. It's never a bad idea to call ahead. That's good advice all the time.

I watched Michael Clayton this weekend. It's pretty good, although the ending is a little tidy for me. I have a hard time with a movie that seems to portray lawyers very accurately throughout but then opts for the morally unambiguous ending. But it is still worth a rental or a Netflixing if you haven't seen it. Everyone probably already has, so I'm basically doing the Jim Gaffigan "Heat" bit at this point. But if you haven't seen it, I'd suggest it.

I have a bit of a beef with director's commentaries on DVDs. The directors have basically decided that every viewer is a "geek" who is only interested in lens widths and film stock and cinematographic minutiae. Tony Gilroy, the director and writer of Michael Clayton, often, as he said, "geeked it out" on the commentary by talking about anamorphic frames and other technical details, but I was a little more interested about the story and how and why he came to write it. He talked about it a little, but I was interested in a lot more in that than he covered. And I don't mean this to be related to only this movie (of course the aspiring lawyer wants to hear a guy talk about lawyers!), but it seems on many commentaries there is plenty of actor backrubbing, lots of talk about rack focusing and very little on story. I realize it is ridiculous to complain about something most people ignore, but that's what this blog is for.

Kat went to a horse show this past weekend. She had a lot of fun. I took a pass because I was going to go to aforementioned spring training baseball game. Her event was not sold out, which shows that she is much smarter than I. For those who want to keep up on all things Kat there is a new blog! She got rid of Kat Fancy - a name I created - and has gone to the more irreverent and less cliche "I Like Carrots." Update your bookmarks, RSS readers, secretaries who find stuff online for you and other tools accordingly.

It was cold yesterday, and today we have some snow on the mountains out the back patio. That does not start being less cool no matter how many times it happens.

How many items have we had already? Like six? But you know what's hanging out there like a big matzoh ball? Oh yes, the NBA. The Celtics have a brutal road trip this week, the Suns may be rounding into some sort of form that at least seems like basketball, the Rockets will not lose, Pau Gasol is out with a beard injury, the Nuggets put a historic murdering on Seattle, but what I want to talk about is the travesty/sham/mockery that is the Miami Heat. This is their box score from Sunday's game. Yes, those names for the Heat mean nothing because no one has heard of them. But I won't even accuse the players who played of tanking - this is simply tanking through who is playing. Riles has made it public that he is scouting college players - even skipping games to do so - and yet the fans must continue to pay the inflated "hey, we recently won a championship" ticket prices. I feel badly for them, although they still live in Miami, so it's not all bad.

On the Riley scouting issue, can we just be honest and say he hates his own team so much that he needed a break from watching it? Why would you scout college players when you don't know where you'll draft and you have all of spring and summer to scout them anyway. Videotape exists - you don't need to actually be there - you could, I don't know, coach your own team? I'm rambling, but I find the scouting rather pointless. You'll have time to scout. In fact, the players you want to draft will fly to your facility and work out for you! They'll do the drills you want them to! I understand that you want to see them in game conditions, but that's what film is for. My point is that Riley should be subjected to the team he is foisting on his fans. At least Isiah doesn't leave to go scout other team's washed-up malcontented stars with bad contracts. Well, at least not yet.

My NBA thoughts are scattered (readers nod slowly and sadly), but I'm still very excited. I'm not all that thrilled for March Madness (for me it's more like a brief mania), but I think the Final Four could be interesting because there are some good teams. For now, I'm riding UCLA.

I think that's it. This is too long already for anyone but a masochist. Anyway, best wishes to everyone and a happy Easter.

1 comment:

Kat G said...

What Kat reads:

Blah blah blah KAT blah blah blah blah!