Saturday, March 22, 2008

Shhhh! Kat is sleeping!

I'm coming to you live (through blog) from Room 2038 of the Hotel Scottsdale in Scottsdale, AZ. I picked up Keith and Shaleah from the beatiful Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix this morning and we went to the Phoenix Art Museum. Kat had to stay behind briefly to care for an ailing dog. The museum had a nice Richard Avedon photography gallery as well as some nice modern art. The museum was nice, although I didn't do too well with navigation after leaving there. But we were able to find the hotel, which is pretty swank for where I've stayed.
Kat then joined us after fighting some tangled I-10 traffic. We then went to Taliesin West - Frank Lloyd Wright's winter home north of Scottsdale. The complex is quite amazing, although it is difficult to capture in a photo or even in a typed explanation. The rooms are built into a mountain and slope similarly to the mountains, so they appear very organic. The tour guide was quite a talker, but he did offer some great anecdotes. It seems that most of Wright's most impressive innovations were the result of his annoyance with others. He was the first to install floor lighting (now used in all movie theaters and airplanes) because he got sick of people using flashlights to find their seats in his cabaret room. He was the first to use stadium seating in his theater pavillion. He was so committed to the locations he had chosen for items in his rooms, such as two clay pots, that he forced the person who was installing the glass in the room to install it around the pot.
Most of the rooms were built in a way that allows the air to flow through - since Wright only lived there in the winter - and the roofs were often made simply of canvas. This meant the rooms always had an airy, open quality, but it also meant that occasionally desert creatures found their way in and ate stuff. Much of the furniture was made by Wright and many of his designs are still kept on site. The tours at Taliesin West are pricey, but it was quite fun. I would recommend it for anyone who is in the Phoenix area. It made me want to visit the original Taliesin (in Spring Green, WI), to go see Falling Water in Mill Run, PA, and many of the other FLW buildings.
After our full day of touring, the three others in the group are now napping. Keith and Shaleah were up early and also are facing two hours of jet lag. Kat enjoys naps - especially when I'm watching basketball as I am now. I do not need a nap because I can't really take them.
I don't really know what is on the docket for tomorrow, but I think it will be fun. The weather is great (I ran the AC in the car for the first time today) and the hotel has a nice pool. I think Keith and Shaleah will have a good time here this week.
Quick NBA thoughts: Quite an impressive road trip for the Celtics. They're trying to finish it off undefeated tonight in New Orleans. Congrats to the L-Train for keeping the windows open long enough to become the Cavs' all-time leading scorer. The Suns are in town tonight to play the Rockets. If I see it it will be on TV. But I'm going to keep my eye out for the Big Cactus. If he's that big, how hard could he be to spot?

No comments: