Tuesday, April 27, 2010

29

Today, April 28, 2010, is momentous. In fact, it is very momentous. Let me run down for you, the reader, just what today represents. It is my 29th birthday, it is my 3rd wedding anniversary, it is my last day of regular law school classes, and it is Kat’s second anniversary as a Wheatmark employee. It is almost as though 24 hours is not enough time to fully reflect on what that all means. That is why I had to actually start this blog post early in preparation for this day. I have a few things to say about each one.

(I know that even the idea of a personal blog is a bit egotistical. But if you came here for cogent analysis on the inherent tensions among the Free Exercise Clause, Establishment Clause and freedom of speech in various public and non-public fora – I can totally do that, btw, just I won’t be doing that in this blog (double parenthetically, If you have questions on those topics, just send me an e-mail with the basic factual scenario and I can help you) – this is not the proper blog post to be reading. We are traveling to Me City, hitch a ride if you like.)

OK, with that out of the way, here we go. It is my 29th birthday. I don’t have much to say about that except that as the years pass I am finding it easier to put up with myself. I think I will always find myself a little bit annoying, but I am more at peace with who I am than ever before. TMI, you say, well yeah. That was why the second paragraph proviso (hereinafter “SPP”) was included.

The best part about today is the three years with Kat. She seems to get more awesome each day, however, this decreases my awesomeness since our combined awesomeness is a constant. But really Kat is the best thing in my life. She makes everything else so much easier, and I can’t thank her enough. She is the best friend anyone could ask for, and I am thrilled that I get to spend so much time with her. I won’t even add anything snark-astic to this paragraph because it is all true.

Finally getting to the end of law school is great and a little bit scary. I still have my exams for this semester and then the bar exam this summer. But it is amazing that I have come to the end. People sometimes ask me whether it has gone by quickly. They are always quick to point out how fast they think it has gone. I normally agree with them, but I also add in that “I remember every single day.” I was in each one of those classes and exams. It did not necessarily seem fast at the time (although exams do fly by quickly – if time moved at exam pace in real life I would already have lived a full life and now be dead).

To quote the long-dead but still shilling Earl Woods, “Did you learn anything?” I would say yes, I learned a lot. It was not always fun, but it was always a good experience. I enjoyed law school, although that is not a good thing to say around an actual law school. I remember lots of highs and lows, people liked and disliked, professors good and bad, results fair and unfair. But the whole package is the important thing. If nothing else, I will call it an experience. And it is an experience that I am glad I had.

(The attendant debt that came along with this experience is another issue entirely. I’m leaving that out of the equation because sometimes it is best not to think about it. There will be plenty of days in the future for doing that.)

As for Kat’s second anniversary at Wheatmark, that is for one of her many personal blogs. But I will say that it is fantastic that she was able to find such a good company that now has found her to be indispensable. I hope that when I am forced to start temping (which very much may happen) the first place they send me is as good as Wheatmark.

So what does it all mean? I don’t really know. This cosmic confluence of events does not necessarily mean anything. Does it mean something that my high school, college and law school graduations were all on Saturday May 15 (that’s 1999, 2004 and 2010 for anyone with failing memories)? Does it mean something that I got engaged and accepted to law school on the same day (December 4, 2006 – aka “Best Day Ever,” according to Kat and I)? Does it mean something that all of these things are happening today, April 28, 2010? No. It doesn’t mean anything, but it could be at least an interesting factoid when I turn this blog post into my full-length memoir (to be published in 2011 by Wheatmark Books!).

I don’t know if anyone will make it to the end here. But whether you do or not does not matter. It does not matter because, as the SPP explains and I have made abundantly clear throughout, this is about me. Thanks for your attention.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Great post, Jeffrey. You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. And you and Kat are very lucky to have each other. Congrats and Happy Birthaversary!

Kat G said...

I tease you about you dorkiness, your ridiculous study schedule, the Diepod and joke that I'm going to hate having to hang out with you once the studying is over ... but it's just a joke.

There is no way in the world anyone could understand how amazed and impressed I am with your dedication to your work.

I've heard law school is incredibly stressful for married couples, but I've found our first years of marriage easy to deal with -- with only minor ledge-talking-offings. I know the rest of our lives is going to be amazing together.

I love you. Happy birthaversary. Now get a job and buy me a horse.