Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Pain Pain Pain

Because someone else dared me, I have been growing a moustache throughout final exams. I know this is a bad idea, but for some reason I haven't shaved it off. I guess at this point, everyone has seen how ridiculous I am, so I'm just trying to "own it" as the kids say.

Here is more photographic proof of how pathetic I am.


As for exams this semester, they have been some of the worst experiences of my life. I am excited that my first year is almost done - never again will they deride me by cackling "1L!" - but it has been quite painful in stretches. I don't know if it will get better or if it is supposed to, but many times this year, and especially the past two weeks, I have felt nauseous, in over my head or just plain disturbed.

(Note: The same reason why you shouldn't go to the grocery store when you are hungry applies to blogging while in the midst of law school exams. Everything comes out sounding worse.)

Anyway, I've taken to calling the exam periods "The Ordeal." The only good news is The Ordeal ends at noon Friday. I have actually enjoyed law school, and I can say with certainty that this exam period has been the worst part of a good first year. Every single exam has been an exercise in futility, fickleness and "f--- this!".

Some people encourage students to journal while in law school, but I didn't take the advice. I wrote down some dull drivel at one point in the first semester, but I haven't done any otherwise. I prefer ranting on my blog with a readership in the single digits. I think it might be cathartic and I'm reaching for catharsis wherever I can get it.

Sometime in the future the grades will come out, but at this point I'm not even worried about that. I just want what I've been through to end. I'm just ready for a break.

Reader Poll: When I return to Yuma for the (gulp) summer (another large gulp) should I blog on Tucsonic Boom or return to The Yumanity. I could go either way and appreciate any input. However, if no one wants to talk to me because of my foul mood (Kat gave up a week or so ago), I understand.

I'm excited about my job because I like researching and writing about the law. I just don't much enjoy the stresses of exams. I'll be back to normal soon - ranting about the NBA or some such thing.

But for now, I'm just trying to make it to the weekend. Thanks for your thoughts.

5 comments:

Kat G said...

I've been helping by chanting the "Meatballs" credo:
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!
IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!

... and encouraging perseverance on the moustache ... which spelling it out loud just now made me realize it sounds like that Mickey Mouse Mousercise (from the '80s) chant:
M-I-C-K-E-Y-M-O-U-S-E ...

Kat G said...

and I vote for Tucsonic Boom simply because I already have that bookmarked.

Terry G. said...

yes to Tusconic Boom for Kat's reason and it's (NOT so) nice to see that you continue to have excessive academic anxiety(EAA to us medical types) in spite of your continued overwhelming success at every level. Summer in Yuma is better than April in Paris(or anytime anyplace in France for that matter!!)
Terry G

Jonesy said...

Eeewww! Make it go away!

TammyK said...

I'm also in agreement with Kat's reasoning.

On the subject of facial hair, Chris has not trimmed his goatee and I'm afraid by nuptual time he's going to look like that one guy from system of a down. (tried to post picture, but was denied)