Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Out for a Spin

I downloaded the new Tapes 'n Tapes this morning off the eMusic (thanks for the nth time to Keith and Shaleah) and banged it back and forth on the commute. I'm definitely liking it because it capitalizes on what was great about The Loon but has some new things here and there. I liked the single Hang Them All (and, by the way, I agree with the sentiment) as well as Conquest and Lines. I need to give it some more listens before I know how I feel for sure, but I just want to say that it is quite awesome to be able to listen to music without ever doing anything more than one's regular routine. I am always thrilled that I happened to be born in the future.


I'm also excited to download the new Colin Meloy live record which has him singing Decemberists songs without any backing other than his own acoustic guitar playing. I would have already gotten it, but I don't have enough downloads because this month eMusic uploaded a ton of old Rolling Stones tracks, so I had to get some of those.


I've been listening to Let It Bleed over the last few days. Gimme Shelter is a heck of a tune as is You Can't Always Get What You Want. I especially enjoy the choir on YCAGWYW that ushers in the song. The Stones were definitely creative musically, but they definitely could rock as well. Country Honk and You Got the Silver are also excellent on that record.


I've also recently listened to the first single from the forthcoming Death Cab for Cutie album. I like it - although you wonder about an 8-minute single that has no lyrics for the first 5 minutes. Maybe they are trying to drive their new label crazy. Anyway, if you haven't heard it and want to - it is right here.

1 comment:

Kat G said...

I'm sitting in the other room, and all of a sudden a noise starts trickling in my ear ... my shoulders tense up ... I can't focus ... a whiney voice over admittedly catchy beats but still the whiney voice refuses to stop...

It isn't the poodle, it's DEATH CAB. They must be stopped.

However, I do like the new Tapes album and I always heart the Stones.

Why would you ever listen to the Crap Cab when so many other BETTER OPTIONS EXIST! Like disco! And reggae, and anything besides Death Cab!